A Call To Join #ThePrayerGloveProject
Thank you for stopping by to learn more about the Prayer Glove Project. At the root, this work is an experiment—a wide reach across the world to search out singular acts of compassion, gather them, make physical evidence of them, and curate them into a work of art. This is new territory for me, I’ve never tried anything on this scale before, but I sincerely believe in the heart of this project, the love it can express, and the opportunity it lends for humans to come together and show love for one another.
I am asking you to pause, carve out some time to offer a prayer for a fellow human being, and contribute a pair of painted gloves to become part of a large sculpture. The project is something like a fundraiser for prayers, or an art-minded prayer chain. The gloves you contribute are an offering, a tangible sign of your care and support, as they represent the gift of your prayers, your time and attention. Please watch the video to learn more about the scope of the project, and more about the family we are praying for. In this current climate so riddled with division and hostility, let us come together and show an outpouring of kindness. This project pushes on the comfort zone for a lot of people, from spiritual and theological questions to apprehension in painting the gloves, to struggling to set aside time. I sincerely ask you to stretch, take part, and offer your voice in this chorus.
With Gratitude, Jenn
How To Participate in #ThePrayerGloveProject:
1. Sign up to participate using the form below - this is helpful in letting me know how many people are participating, as well as to keep you updated on the project
3. Watch the below video + Step-by-Step-Instructions-for-Painting-Your-Gloves.docx
4. Join our Facebook Group: #ThePrayerGloveProject to see updates, and connect with others who are participating
5. While making your gloves, please feel free to share the experience using the hashtag #PrayerGloveProject
6. When finished, please wrap and mail your gloves by September 1, 2021
Sign Up To Participate:
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. How do I receive gloves and paint?
2. How do I send in the gloves once I’m finished?
Gloves must be mailed as a package, and not a letter. They will be returned to you if you mail them in a stamped envelope. Please use the mailing label provided, and you’ll receive discounted shipping. Please mail completed gloves by September 1 to:
c/o Jennifer Thoreson
8201 Golf Course Road NW
Ste D3 #295
Albuquerque, NM 87120
3. What is the deadline for sending in my gloves?
Please mail your gloves before August 31, 2021.
4. Can I use my own gloves and/or paint?
You can purchase your gloves and paint through Amazon (gloves here + paint here) Please use the gloves I’ve chosen for the project, as it is important that the materials are uniform in the dyeing and casting process. The shape and size of the gloves is also important for unity. If you’d like to use your own paint, just be sure it is acrylic paint or permanent ink. Both of these have been tested in the dyeing process and work well. Please do not dye the gloves yourself, I will dye them once I receive them.
5. Can I use any color paint, or does it have to be red?
Please stick to colors in the red family. Dark pinks, dark oranges, and burgundy tones are all great too.
6. Can I participate in this if I’m not artistic?
Yes. Anyone can participate, and this project does not require a special skill set or artistic ability. If you can make dots or lines, you’ve got this!
7. What ages are appropriate for this project?
We have had children as young as 4 years old participate, and people in their 90’s. The project is great for all ages.
8. What if I’m not religious?
Anyone can participate in this project. All prayers, meditations, and positive thoughts for Caspian are acts of love and compassion and are heartily welcomed.
9. Is this project affiliated with any particular religion?
I identify as a progressive Christian, and I use Christian symbolism in the metaphors you see in the finished work. However, I am particularly interested in how prayer can rise above any human understanding of faith affiliations, practices, or denominations. I believe it is something that unifies us as humans.
10. Are there instructions somewhere for me to follow on how to paint my gloves?
Yes! Step-by-Step-Instructions-for-Painting-Your-Gloves.docx, and watch the brief video above on how to paint your gloves. You’ll also find some examples of painted gloves for inspiration.
11. Are there specific prayer requests for Caspian that I can keep in mind?
Yes, click on the link below to find specific, updated requests from Caspian’s family.
12. Can I invite other people to participate too?
Please do! I would love to see 2000 gloves in the final installation—or more! Let’s share, gather many voices, and show this little boy and his family an outpouring of love and support. This project is a wonderful fit for small groups, classes, schools, and families.
13. Will my name be associated with the work somehow if I participate?
If you would like to be listed as a collaborator, please include your name with your finished gloves, and I will add you to the list of collaborators for the project.
14. How is this project funded?
I am currently applying for grants to help fund the work, but for the time being, the project is self-funded. By purchasing and shipping your gloves as a collaborator, you are helping immensely with the costs of producing this work, which is very much appreciated!
15. Can I see the finished artwork somewhere?
Yes! The finished artwork will be in the form of a photograph. The work will be on my website after it is complete, and will be exhibited in galleries, art centers, and museums in the future. If you’d like to know about upcoming exhibitions in your area, be sure to follow my Instagram or Facebook page for updates on exhibitions and publications of this project.
16. Is there a way I can follow the progress of the project as it is made?
Yes! Please join the Facebook group for the project and invite others to join. I’ll be posting updates and images of the progress of the work, videos, and pictures of the installation as it is constructed. It’s a great place to connect to others and share your own photos and videos of the gloves you contribute!
17. Can I participate if I’m outside of the US?
Yes! If you are unable to use the Amazon link to purchase gloves and have them shipped to your country, please email me, and we will come up with a solution together.
18. Are there other ways I can help?
Yes! If you are local to New Mexico, I will need studio assistants to help with installation of this enormous piece. Please send me an email if you’d like to help. Some churches and organizations are arranging offerings for Capsian’s family. If you would like to organize an offering, please contact me directly, and we can coordinate the details.